Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Facebook has given me a connection to people from the churches we have served, to old high school classmates, to family and everyone in between. When I first started using Facebook a couple years ago, the upside was apparent. Connection, networking and just keeping up with our kids made the possibilities endless. However just like the human condition, something created for good, has turned or is turning dark. Sites displaying and exploiting women (soft core), people dropping "F" bombs make Facebook dangerously close to going the way of My Space. I thought about it and decided that whatever men create no matter the pure intent, others will compromise and seek to destroy, which by the way is the age old way of the enemy of God.
I am monitoring Facebook. I have used it to spread encouragement and the Word of God, but, when it becomes a place for people to spread viruses, to "trick" people into attaching themselves to sites they do not want to be associated with, then it is time to look elsewhere. The technology of our day is mind boggling, but we have to use it responsibly. Therein lies the issue, what is responsible for me is far different than someone else's definition of responsibility. that is why the Word of God has to be our guide, our moral compass and our True North!
I'm so thankful for God's Word and the Holy Spirit who brings it to life.
Jay

No comments: